All over the world, there are millions of people who have problems with their scalp. The truth is that there are various medical conditions that can lead to the appearance of sores on scalp. Depending on the cause of the sore, one can even experience temporary or permanent hair loss. Having sores on your scalp can be painful, as the skin will be sensitive to the touch and this will make it difficult for you to do normal things, such as brushing your hair. An immediate treatment will be required so that you return to a normal quality of life.Leaving aside the medical conditions, there are certain dietary and hygiene habits that can also 'help'. Often times, the skin of the scalp is not healthy enough because our diet does not include all the vitamins it needs and thus it is more prone to sores and other similar problems. As for the hygiene habits, washing your hair too often can leave the scalp to be extremely sensitive and thus prone to the appearance of sores. The same goes for those who use a shampoo that is not adapted to their own type of hair.
Symptoms of Sores on Scalp
Below, you will find the most common symptoms of sores on scalp:
- Skin tender or even painful to touch
- Swelling around the affected area
- Changes in skin color
- Pus collection under the skin
- Crusting of the skin
- Skin lesions - from small areas to large plaques
- Hair thinning
- Hair loss
- Burning sensation
What Causes Sores on Scalp?
These are the most common causes of sores on scalp:
- Hair shaft infections - follicular infection, impetigo etc.
- Fungal skin infections - ringworm, fungus Tinea etc.
- Bacterial infections - Staphylococcus aureus
- Viral infections - chickenpox, Herpes Zoster etc.
- Autoimmune disorders - Pemphigus, Psoriasis
- Allergic skin reactions - contact dermatitis (to shampoo or conditioner)
- Skin problems (acne)
- Seborrheic dermatitis - caused by a fungus, Malassezia globosa
- Skin cysts - epidermal or sebaceous
- Excessive sebum production
- Stress, exhaustion or emotional tension
- Cancerous skin lesions
Treatments for Sores on Scalp
When it comes to the choices available for treating scalp sores, it is important for you to understand that the skin condition causing them has to be treated as well.Depending on the cause of the scalp scores, you will be recommended the following treatment course:
- Ringworm and other fungal infections - anti-fungal medication, plus anti-fungal shampoo. The medication can be administered up to three months.
- Impetigo and other bacterial infections - antibiotics in order to kill the bacteria, plus topical creams.
- Pemphigus - oral medication or injections, the treatment however must be closely monitored by a specialized dermatologist because of the serious side-effects. Topical creams can alleviate the upsetting symptoms of the scalp sores.
- Psoriasis - topical treatments are recommended for not so extensive lesions. In more serious cases, the treatment course will include photo-therapy for the slowing of cell turnover but also oral medication or injections.
- Viral infections - anti-viral medication.
- Removal of skin allergen in case of contact dermatitis
- Topical treatments for acne and other similar medical conditions.
- Drainage of skin cysts.
- Psychological intervention in case of stress, exhaustion or emotional tension.
- Removal surgery in case of cancerous skin lesions.
Topical treatments for the scalp sores include
- Medical shampoos
- Topical creams
- Topical gels
- Medical soaps
- Salicylic acid and coal tar for psoriasis-based scalp scor
There are also natural remedies you can use for scalp sores
- White or apple cider vinegar mixed with warm water
- Homemade shampoo
- Aloe Vera
- Tea Tree Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Lavender Oil
- Lemon juice
As you have seen, there are certain steps that you need to take in order to treat scalp sores. The first and most important is to contact a dermatologist and make an appointment. Together, you can decide not only on the right treatment for the initial skin condition that has led to the appearance of scalp sores but also on the topical treatment that will help you alleviate upsetting symptoms. At the same time, there are numerous home remedies that you can try out and they will definitely have a positive effect on the health of your scalp.Because infections, be they fungal, viral or bacterial, often lead to the appearance of scalp sores, you will have to be careful when it comes to your hygiene. Do not share objects of personal hygiene with other people, as you can never know who has an infection and who is healthy. Be careful not to cut yourself and always disinfect a wound with proper substances.
Sores on Scalp Pictures
Pictures collection of Sores on Scalp...